Alumnae Library
Michael Smith



Alumnae Library
Debra Gomes
Associate Director & Head of Library Technology



Can I check out journals?Journals must be used in the library. The only exception is for Elms faculty, who may check out journals at the Circulation Desk.
Where are the current journals/newspapers?Current journals and most newspapers are located in the Reavis Reading Area on the first floor of the library. They are arranged alphabetically. Please lift up the shelf to view all issues for a journal title. The daily newspapers (Union News, Boston Globe, New York Times, and USA Today) are located at the Reference Desk.
Where are the back issues of journals located?Back issues of journals are located on the third floor in alphabetical order.
Where are the copiers located and what does it cost to make a copy?The photocopy machines are on the first and third floors of the library. They accept change and copy cards. The cost is .05 cents per page.
Where do I get change for the copy machines?Change may be requested from the Circulation Desk.
Where do I purchase copy cards for the copy machines?To purchase copy cards please go to the Circulation Desk.
How do I know which journals the library owns?The Elms College Journal Title List lists all the holdings of the library, both print and electronic. Records of print journals are also located in the Library's Online Catalog
How do I locate journals not owned by the library?If the journal is not listed in the Elms College Journal Title List or the Library's Online Catalog, please check the WorldCat Database. The library can request the article via InterLibrary Loan. Please leave ample time for an InterLibrary Loan (between 10-14 days).
How do I find journal articles?The Elms College Alumnae Library has paper and electronic indexes available for research purposes. Electronic databases can be accessed when you visit the library or online through the library website.
Where are microforms located in the library?Back runs of serial microforms (such as Business Week, Catholic Observer and Education Digest) are located on the third floor with the paper copies. Back runs of New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Time and U.S. News & World Report are located in the Microform Room, which is located on the lower level of the library across from the elevator.
How do I photocopy microforms?A microform reader/printer machine is located in on the first floor of the library. If you require assistance, kindly contact the Reference Librarian or the Circulation Desk. The cost is .05 cents per page.
How do I locate missing pages or journal issues?If you are unable to locate an individual article or a journal, please complete a Missing Journal/Article Form. Please fill the form out completely and be sure to include your phone number so that any questions can be resolved quickly and efficiently. A search will be conducted for the item and you will be notified of the results as soon as possible.
How do I locate journals that may be at the bindery?Journals are bound during the summer months and during the January Intersession. Materials are out of the building for 5-6 weeks. Check at the Circulation Desk, Reference Desk, or Serials Department to see if items are at the bindery.