Elms College will host a BioBlitz at Chicopee Memorial State Park from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 30. In a BioBlitz, scientists, naturalists and volunteers (kids and adults) do an intense survey to find and identify all living creatures (birds, plants, insects, mammals) in a particular region on one day.
Our BioBlitz is funded by the Massachusetts Geographic Alliance under a grant from the National Geographic Education Foundation. All are invited to join us in this exciting educational event.
Meet at the Pavilion
Chicopee Memorial State Park
Use this address for GPS: 570 Burnett Road, Chicopee, MA 01020.
(For updates, check the tour schedule at the Pavilion)
7 a.m.: Birding Tour, led by Jeremy Coleman from the Hampshire Bird Club
9 a.m.: Birding Tour, led by Jeremy Coleman from the Hampshire Bird Club
10 a.m.: Tree ID Tour
11 a.m.: Fungi Tour, led by Dianna Smith, mycologist from the Pioneer Valley Mycological Association
1 p.m.: "Potions, Poisons and Perfume" Tour, led by Nina Theis Chemical Ecologist at Elms College
2 p.m.: Insect Tour, led by Melanie Joy-Cooper of Elms College (formerly of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation in the Forest Health Program)
All day: Dip-netting to identify aquatic invertebrates!
10:30-2:30: LIVE ANIMALS from Hitchcock Center for the Environment!
For additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the BioBlitz Works:
1. When you arrive at the Pavilion: Please sign in! You will receive a map and a map location assignment. (These assignments are only suggestions.)
2. Visit the ID tables to choose some organisms to ID: plants, insects, fungi, birds, or mammals.
3. Pick up ID Sheets and play games.
4. Once you have a map and ID sheets, follow your map assignment and prepare to collect some data!
5. Walk to your assigned area of the park (or choose another area to walk).
6. Fill out the map location on your ID sheet and start tallying organisms.
7. Return to the Pavilion to sign out ... and let us know what you found!
What to bring:
Food and water
Bring your phone and download the iNaturalist app that is used for BioBlitzes
Dress for the weather