Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing (70 credits)
Total credits are inclusive of Elms College core requirements.
CORE NURSING REQUIREMENTS (62 CREDITS)
NUR 110 Introduction to Contemporary Nursing Practice (3)
NUR 213 Medical Dose Calculations (1)
NUR 217 Health Assessment of the Adult (4)
NUR 219 Pathophysiology (3)
NUR 221 Fundamentals of Nursing (5)
NUR 225 Pharmacology (3)
NUR 305 Nursing Care of the Adult I (4)
NUR 305L Nursing Skills Lab I (1)
NUR 346 Mental Health Nursing (4)
NUR 326 Nursing Care of the Adult II (4)
NUR 326L Nursing Skills Lab II (1)
NUR 340 Evidence-Based Nursing (3)
NUR 407 Childrearing (4)
NUR 368 Childbearing(5)
NUR 429 NCLEX (2)
NUR 465 Nursing Care of the Older Adult (5)
NUR 470 Population-based Health Nursing (4)
NUR 477 Nursing Leadership and Management of Care (5)
NUR 492 Senior Seminar (2)
Required Non-Nursing Courses (6 CREDITS)
PHI 248 Health Care Ethics (3)
SSD 304 Introduction to Cultural Competence (3)
College Core (3 credits )
College Core Courses* that may also be required:
* for those applying with an associate’s degree
The following are the requirements for admission to the Elms College Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing Program:
- A completed associate, baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale for students with an associate degree and 3.2 for students with a baccalaureate or higher degree. Students are selected on a competitive basis therefore the GPA required for an actual offer of admission may be higher depending on the applicant pool.
- Complete the Elms College full time admission application
- An essay which describes your reasons for changing your career to Nursing. The essay should include why you are an excellent candidate for the Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing program and how the program will facilitate your career goals.
- Admission deadlines for the program A complete application package is due by March 15, 2017
- An interview may be required by the School of Nursing . Applicant will be contracted if selected for an interview.
Required prerequisite courses that must be completed with a minimum grade of B- by May of the year of admission include:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credits includes lab)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credits includes lab)
- Microbiology (4 credits includes lab)
- Chemistry ( 4 credits includes lab)
- Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- Statistics (3 credits)
- English (6 credits)
- College Core Courses* that may also be required:
- Art (3 credits)
- History (3 credits)
* for those applying with an Associate Degree fulfilling the College Care will require : Art (3 cr) ART/MUS and History (3cr) HIS
** Students are not eligible for admission to the Elms College Accelerated Second Degree Nursing Program if they have been dismissed for academic or clinical reasons in another nursing program.