OneSearch Federated Search
Information at Your Fingertips
A Guide for Survival in the Information Jungle
OneSearch is a federated searching engine that allows users to type in keywords once to search man of the library's electronic databases. Federated searching will simultaneously search through many of our electronic databases, online card catalog, and selected websites. OneSearch provides citations and abstracts, but will link to full-text articles, electronic books, and records in our library's catalog.
- Open a web browser and go to the library home page: http://www.elms.edu/library
- At Library Website
- Click "Electronic Databases"
- Login using library barcode and last name
- The basic search screen will appear
- The basic search screen lists all electronic databases alphabetically by title
- Users may search databases either individually (by title), as a group, or by subject
- To search a group of databases together, click on the white box next to the title
a. Type search terms in white box, next to "keyword"
b. Click "search"
- To search databases by subject, click on the link that says "search by subject." Subject lists may be searched two ways:
a. Type search terms in white box, next to "keyword"
--Locate subject (ex: nursing), click in white box to select
b. Choose subject (ex: nursing) & click
--Locate & choose databases to search-either click in white boxes to select or go directly into the database by clicking the title (ex.: CINAHL)
--Type search terms in white box, next to "keyword"
NOTE: Not all resources have checkboxes, which means they cannot be searched as a group. Users will need to go directly into the database to search them (ex: Boston Globe).
- Within seconds of clicking "search," users will start to see the results of the search.
- Located on the left-hand side of the screen will be a list of the database titles and the number of records found in each database
- The middle of the page shows the citations for each record
- To view record click on the title - once in the record, the user will be able to see if this record is full-text or an abstract
- The results page will also show the following message: results 1-25 of 241 returned for "keyword contains whatever keywords were used" (48344 total)
a. The results screen will show 25 results out of 48,344 in total
b. To view all results, click "next results for all resources", which will show up when viewing the last page of results. Occasionally, users may see three dots after the last page number (ex: 1-2-3-4-5-6 ...). Click on the three dots to view the next set of results.
- Users may also click on a database title from the "results by source" list, located on the left-side of the screen. Clicking on any database from this list will bring the user to that set of results for that particular database. The number of resources located for a particular database is shown in parentheses next to the database title (ex: Academic OneFile (1390)).
- Users may sort the search results by using the following criteria (all options are located in the header above the results).
- Sort By: These links allow users to sort the search results by publication date, title, author, or source. If the results contain publication dates, they will automatically be sorted by date unless the user chooses another sort option.
- Filter By: Users may click the checkbox to filter the results to "full-text" only. However, the librarians do not suggest using this option. Searches are more complete when all results are viewed.
- Some of the results may include a link to a "link resolver". This enables users of online library resources to navigate from a citation to a full-text copy of an article, if available, in another database.
- If the link is available, click on the sentence that says "search for full-text availability."
- If full-text is available, a new window will appear with the message "content is available via the following links." The links will be listed in alphabetical order by database. Users may click on their choice, if more than one is available.
- If full-text is not available, a new window will appear with the message "sorry, no holdings were found for this journal." For these journal titles, please request an InterLibrary Loan.
- Search results may be exported, saved, or emailed. The links are located above the search results and will become live when a checkbox has been selected next to an item. When all items are chosen, click one of the following:
- Email: Fill in the required fields for "your name," email, and subject. A message is optional. At "select record format" - choose either HTML or plain text. Then click "send email". A message will show that says "6 record(s) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org." Click the button that says "close." The email message will come in with the subject the user typed in and the following phrase in the from field: "email@example.com"
- Export/Save: At "export selected records" choose either HTML or plain text. Then click "export." At next screen click "save records." At file download window click "save." Choose folder and click "open." When file has finished saving - click "open" to view the exported records.
NOTE: The library does not support RefWorks, EndNote, or ProCite. Please choose either HTML or plain text when selecting a record format.
- Academic OneFile
- Academic Search Complete
- Anthropological Index
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts
- Art Full Text
- Biography in Context
- Books & Authors
- Boston Globe
- Business Insights: Essentials
- C/W MARS Library Catalog
- Cambridge Journals Online
- Catholic Periodical and Literature Index
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Clase and Periódica
- Cochrane Collection Plus
- Contemporary Literary Criticism Select
- CQ Researcher
- Credo Reference
- Criminal Justice collection (InfoTrac)
- Criminal Justice Periodicals Index (ProQuest )
- Culinary Arts
- Current Contents Connect: Life Sciences
- Digital Treasures
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- ebooks on EBSCOhost
- Ebrary Academic Complete Subscription Collection
- EBSCOhost EJS (Electronic Journal Service)
- Education Research Complete
- Education Resources Information Complete (ERIC)
- Educator's Reference Complete
- Educator's Reference Desk
- Electronic Books (E-Books)
- Electronic Collections Online (ECO)
- Elms College Library Catalog
- Environmental Studies & Policy
- ERIC (FirstSearch)
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- Films on Demand
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Gardening, Landscape & Horticulture Collection
- General Business File ASAP
- General OneFile
- General Reference Center Gold
- General Science Full Text
- Global Issues in Context
- GPO Monthly Catalog
- Health & Wellness Resource Center
- Health Reference Center Academic
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine
- hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection
- InfoTrac Junior Edition
- InfoTrac Student Edition
- Issues & Controversies
- Kids InfoBits
- LexisNexis Academic
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA) with Full-text
- Literary Reference Center
- Literature Resource Center
- MarciveWeb DOCS
- MEDLINE Plus Health Information
- Medline with Full-Text
- MedPix: Medical Image Database
- Mental Measurements Yearbook( WebSPIRS )
- MOCAT (Catalog of U.S. Government Publications)
- NASW Clinical Register, 12th Ed. (SilverPlatter)
- New York Times
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection
- Nursing Resource Center
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center: Critical Thinking
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Journals
- Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine Collection
- Plunkett Research Online
- Population Index
- Project Muse - Standard Collection
- ProQuest Central
- PsycNet (APA)
- PubMed Central
- Religious & Theological Abstracts
- SAGE Premier
- Science in Context
- Science Online
- ScienceDirect Health & Life Sciences College Edition
- Social Services Abstracts
- Social Work Abstracts Plus
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Teacher Reference Center
- Today's Science
- U.S. History in context
- United States National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Vocations & Careers Collection
- Wall Street Journal
- World Almanac
- World History in Context
- WorldCat (OCLC FirstSearch)
- WorldCat Dissertations and Theses
Interim Reference Librarian