Welcome to Student Accommodations and Support Services (SASS) at Elms College
Student Accommodations and Support Services collaborates with and empowers students who have diagnosed disabilities in order to coordinate support services and programs that enable equal access to education, campus housing, and college life.
SASS works to foster academic success, personal responsibility, self-advocacy, and leadership while addressing the unique needs and interests of individuals who have registered with the office and to ensure that Elms College operates in accordance with federal regulations as outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504, and other pertinent regulations.
A Student’s Perspective
SASS Support Services
SASS support services include, but are not limited to:
- Developing student accommodation plans
- Arranging extended time for exams
- Providing a distraction-reduced environment for exams
- Supporting students with temporary injuries or medical conditions
- Providing event-related accommodations (at least two weeks’ advance notice by email is required)
Students of Elms College who have a disability or might be experiencing difficulties that could be related to a disabling condition should contact the SASS Office to set up a meeting. Students and visitors are welcome to drop in to the office, but appointments are highly recommended. Drop-in hours are on a first-come, first-served basis. The SASS Office is located in the Center for Student Success on the second floor of Alumnae Library.
- New Incoming students requesting academic, housing, or campus accommodations must register with the Student Accommodations and Support Services (SASS) and follow the steps listed below:
- Complete the SASS Intake Form. Students requesting accommodations must complete the intake form in order to identify the disability and support the request for accommodations.
- Submit Supporting Documentation. Students must submit documentation that establishes the presence of a disability, identifies the functional impact, and explains the link between the functional impact and the need for the requested accommodations. Additional information as to acceptable supporting documentation is outlined in the Psychiatric Documentation Form and the Supporting Documentation Guidelines Form.
- Meet with SASS staff for an intake interview/Welcome Meeting. Students must meet with a SASS staff member to provide information on their academic, housing, or campus experience and any other pertinent information. Approved accommodations will be finalized after this meeting.
- Complete all necessary additional documentation as determined and required.
- SASS staff utilizes an interactive review process to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations.
- Returning students must complete the Semester Request Form for every semester.
SASS Documentation Principles
Intake Form – New Students
Semester Request for Accommodation Returning Student Form
Student Exam Accommodation Form
Steps to transition
Psychiatric Diagnosis Form