ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS, PROCEDURES AND INSTRUCTIONS
To be considered for admission to the Elms College Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (DNP) in Health Systems Innovation and Leadership, the ideal candidate will have met the following criteria and requirements for entry:
- Earned a Master of Science (MS) degree in Nursing from an accredited NLN or CCNE School of Nursing.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Submission of a a completed Elms College DNP application which includes:
- Resume or CV
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- A copy of current licensure as a registered nurse in the state in which practice will occur
- Three letters of reference pertaining to the candidate’s academic ability, professional competency and personal character. References included with the application packet are to be sealed in envelopes and signed across the envelope seal by the endorsers.
- Personal Statement: Briefly describe your professional nursing practice and some of your successful, unexpected events that shaped your professional career goals relative to doctoral study. Identify a potential healthcare issue in your practice that could be the basis of your DNP Capstone Project. Frame your discussion by first reviewing The Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice and describe how the potential project affects healthcare quality and population health.
- A telephone and/or in-person interview will be part of the admission process
There is a one-time, non-refundable, application fee of $30. Please make checks payable to Elms College.
Application for Admission Deadline
The deadline for applications is August 15, 2018. Applications received after the August deadline may be considered for the following academic year if seats are full.
Submission of DNP Application
Please note that the applicant’s signature is required in order for the application to be considered complete.The application, fee and application documents for the DNP program are to be submitted directly to:
Elms College School of Graduate and Professional Studies
DNP Program – Admissions
291 Springfield Street
Chicopee, MA 01013
The School of Graduate and Professional Studies recommends you familiarize yourself with individual graduate programs, their requirements, and other pertinent information contained in the graduate student catalog.
All applications are reviewed by members of the DNP Program Committee.
Acceptance letters with enrollment forms are issued by the Elms College School of Nursing DNP Program.
Records and Confidentiality
Any and all information submitted with this Application for Admission becomes the property of Elms College. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974,your application materials will be kept confidential within the confines of Elms College. For further information regarding FERPA, please see the graduate student catalog.
Financial Aid for the DNP Program
Students may be eligible for financial aid through student loan programs. To learn more, visit http://cfs.gwu.edu/sfa/.
Elms College Office of Financial Aid can assist students with information on loans, grants and scholarships. Call the Office of Financial Aid to receive information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at (413) 265-2249. You may also go directly to the FAFSA website at https://fafsa.ed.gov to apply. Elms College’s school code is 002140. The FAFSA does not apply to International Students.
Many business and healthcare organizations may assist in funding through employee tuition reimbursement programs. Check with your Human Resources office.
International students, who are not United States citizens or permanent resident aliens, must submit an F-1 Visa Request Form and supporting documents. For those students whose native language is not English, the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. Elms College’s board number for the TOEFL exam is 3283. For further information, please contact the Division of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education 413-265-2445.
International Student Admission
International students are encouraged to apply to the Elms College graduate programs. International applicants must score at least 550 on the test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and be eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts. In addition to the usual application materials, international applicants must complete a “Foreign Student Application Package” and abide by all relevant immigration regulations.
Students requesting to transfer credit from another graduate nursing program must submit a completed Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form along with a copy of the course syllabus and course grade transcript for review by the DNP administration and faculty. Upon review, the DNP administration and faculty may determine that the credit is not suitable for transfer into the Elms College School of Nursing DNP Program. A maximum of 12 graduate credits may, if deemed suitable, be transferred to the Elms College School of Nursing DNP Program. A minimum course grade of B (3.0) is required for transfer credit.
Upon acceptance of the applicant, the student will meet with an assigned advisor to develop their program of study.