Paralegal Studies in Legal Nurse Consulting
Online Certificate Program
Legal Nurse Consultants are skilled professionals in both the legal and medical fields. LNCs combine their expertise as registered nurses and nurse paralegals to critically analyze legal matters that involve health or medical issues. Drawing on their experience in clinical settings, LNCs collaborate with attorneys, insurance companies, and businesses on a wide range of medical-legal cases and claims. The LNC’s holistic understanding of the nursing profession uniquely qualifies him or her to provide insight into malpractice law suits, health insurance claims, workers’ compensation claims, personal injury law suits, and medical records research.
The Elms College online Paralegal Studies Certificate in Legal Nurse Consulting is a post-degree credential that prepares registered nurses to enter the legal profession. Through the curriculum students cultivate the foundational skills in law needed to succeed in consultant roles.
Students with an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree are eligible for this 18-credit certificate program and must be currently licensed to practice as a registered nurse with 2,000 completed hours of clinical practice as an RN.
The Paralegal Studies Certificate in Legal Nurse Consulting may be completed in less than one year by completing three, 8-week sessions entirely online. All students who complete the certificate program will:
- Understand the legal profession and their ethical obligations within it
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills, including how to form sound and well-reasoned judgments
- Effectively communicate orally, in writing, and in interpersonal situations
- Explain issues and liability concerns presented to legal nurse consultants from government agencies, healthcare providers, and the insurance industry
- Explain informed consent, treatment decisions, and associate liability concerns
- Master skills associated with interviewing medical administrators, practitioners and staff
- Develop proficiency in screening cases for merit and analyzing and summarizing medical records and other evidence
- Acquire skills to assist in preparation for and evaluation of depositions, procurement of medical experts and records, and preparing exhibits for settlement hearings or trials
The following 18 credits are required for the online certificate:
- LEG204 Legal Studies I
- LEG206 Principles of Litigation
- LEG311 Health Law
- LEG333 Computer-Assisted Legal Research
- LEG253 Tort & Personal Injury
- LEG465 Advanced Research & Writing
- Interdisciplinary training prepares you for unique job opportunities in the legal industry
- Certificate can be completed in less than one year
- Fully online program is flexible and easily adaptable to your lifestyle and schedule