The Blue House
The Blue House (147 Grape St., across Fairview Avenue from the Gaylord House) provides the resources for students to develop the creative, intellectual, and practical skills for employment while allowing our writing program to grow.
Many students choose the writing concentration of the English major because of the distinguished faculty, visiting writers, open mics, and the opportunity to serve on the staff of Bloom, the student-run literary magazine.
The Blue House offers:
- A central office for Bloom (the Elms College literary magazine; see below), where all staff and production meetings will be held.
- A library of literary journals and books.
- Individual dedicated writing spaces.
- Scheduled office hours for students to work on their writing with English faculty.
- An event space for open mics, readings, workshops, and lectures by visiting scholars.
- Several work-study opportunities, including The Blue House Fellowship.
Bloom Literary Magazine
Bloom is the literary magazine of Elms College, featuring the writing, photography, and artwork of Elms College students, faculty and staff. All members of the Elms community are invited to contribute and share their work — poetry, short fiction, essays, or artwork — in Bloom. The magazine’s staff includes majors in everything from English to legal studies to business.