Candidates for the accelerated second degree in nursing program will hold an associate’s, baccalaureate, or higher degree in a non-nursing major, and must complete entry requirements.
The program uses a cohort model where an entering class is maintained as a cohesive group moving through nursing classes together. The program of study is designed for an accelerated pace, where students complete a bachelor of science degree in nursing in two academic years, plus one intensive summer semester (20 months).
Application deadline for the program is March 15, 2018.
The program is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and is currently undergoing curriculum refinement in order to offer the most contemporary nursing education available to students.
The Admissions Office conducts regular information sessions from August through March. These session are an important part of the process and are designed to answer a majority of the questions you might have about this program.
The following are the requirements for admission to the Elms College Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing Program:
- A completed associate, baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale for students with an associate degree and 3.2 for students with a baccalaureate or higher degree. Students are selected on a competitive basis therefore the GPA required for an actual offer of admission may be higher depending on the applicant pool.
- Complete the Elms College full time admission application
- An essay which describes your reasons for changing your career to Nursing. The essay should include why you are an excellent candidate for the Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing program and how the program will facilitate your career goals.
- Admission deadlines for the program A complete application package is due by March 15, 2017
- An interview may be required by the School of Nursing . Applicant will be contracted if selected for an interview.
Required prerequisite courses that must be completed with a minimum grade of B- by May of the year of admission include:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credits includes lab)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credits includes lab)
- Microbiology (4 credits includes lab)
- Chemistry ( 4 credits includes lab)
- Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- Statistics (3 credits)
- English (6 credits)
- College Core Courses* that may also be required:
- Art (3 credits)
- History (3 credits)
* for those applying with an Associate Degree fulfilling the College Care will require : Art (3 cr) ART/MUS and History (3cr) HIS
** Students are not eligible for admission to the Elms College Accelerated Second Degree Nursing Program if they have been dismissed for academic or clinical reasons in another nursing program.