The Global Health Certificate prepares professionals in a variety of fields to manage culturally complex healthcare issues.
Tackle the Major Health Challenges of the Future
According to the World Health Organization, the world will face increasingly challenging, complex health issues in the next decade:
- Access to healthcare and treatment, equity issues, food insecurity, and health promoting practices.
- Management of healthcare services, underinvestment in health workers, public trust of health care workers, sanitation.
- Research/data: epidemic preparedness, infectious disease rates, safety improving practices.
The global health certificate program provides a framework for careers in public health management, research, and healthcare.
Connect Local Health with Global Culture
Using global health as a critical lens, students in the program study how the global burden of disease affects populations locally, nationally, and abroad. You will focus on developing an adaptable, interdisciplinary skill set that can be applied to multiple contexts, including:
- clinical nursing
- healthcare administration
- social work
- community activism
- mental health
Led by expert faculty in biology, nursing, psychology, and social work, the certificate program emphasizes diverse frameworks for identifying, understanding, and developing interventions for global health issues. Your coursework will challenge you to engage with global health case studies, using epidemiological analysis, biostatistics, social determinants of health, and healthcare management strategies to deepen your expertise and knowledge of the health continuum.
Establishing a strong foundation in the principles of global health can pave the way for many career paths, including:
- Community health program coordinator
- Health researcher
- Nurse educator specializing in population health or public health
- Manager of health promotion and disease prevention programs
- Manager of international healthcare planning and delivery programs
- To complete the certificate you must take 4 four courses (HCL 6600 is required).
- The certificate program can be completed in one academic year (and must not take longer than two years). The online course structure gives you flexibility to complete the courses in the order you choose.
- You can begin the certificate in any semester, but HCL 6600 is required and must be taken following the other three chosen courses .
- A final capstone project gives you the opportunity to synthesize your coursework and reflect on how you will apply your new and advanced knowledge to your career.