Connect Local Health with Global Culture
The Certificate in Global Health prepares professionals in a variety of fields to manage culturally complex healthcare issues.
Using global health as a critical lens, students in the program study how the global burden of disease affects populations locally, nationally, and abroad. You will focus on developing an adaptable, interdisciplinary skill set that can be applied to multiple contexts, including:
- clinical nursing
- healthcare administration
- social work
- community activism
- mental health
Led by expert faculty in biology, nursing, psychology, and social work, the certificate program emphasizes diverse frameworks for identifying, understanding, and developing interventions for global health issues. Your coursework will challenge you to engage with global health case studies, using epidemiological analysis, biostatistics, social determinants of health, and healthcare management strategies to deepen your expertise and knowledge of the health continuum.
Establishing a strong foundation in the principles of global health can pave the way for many career paths, including:
- Community health program coordinator
- Health researcher
- Nurse educator specializing in population health or public health
- Manager of health promotion and disease prevention programs
- Manager of international healthcare planning and delivery programs
- The certificate program can be completed in as little as four 11-week semesters, taking place over one academic year. The online course structure also gives you the option to complete the program at your own pace.
- You can begin the certificate in any semester, but the social work, biomedical sciences, and psychology courses must be completed before enrolling in HCL 6600.
- A final capstone project gives you the opportunity to synthesize your coursework and reflect on how you will apply global health principles to your career.
Click to view course requirements for the certificate in Global Health.
Click to collapse the course requirements for the certificate in Global Health.
Certificate Curriculum (12 credits)
|Course #||Formerly||Course Name||# of Credit Hours|
|SWK 5004||SWK 504||Issues in Global Health||3|
|BMS 5009||BMS 509||Epidemiology & Biostatistics||3|
|Psychology of Health: Impact on Cultures||3|
|HCL 6600||HCL 660||Global Perspectives in Healthcare Management||3|