Postbaccalaureate Premedical Studies Certificate Program
Our postbac premed program offers pre-dental, pre-PA, pre-pharmacy, pre-optometry, pre-podiatry, pre-veterinarian, pre-chiropractic, pre-physical therapy, pre-occupational therapy, and pre-anesthesiologist assistant tracks, among others.
Elms College postbaccalaureate premedical studies certificate program enrolls 20-30 students each academic year from across the United States and around the world who have earned a B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university. The postbac program serves two populations of students:
- Students who wish to improve their GPAs and prepare for standardized tests
- Students who need to take prerequisite coursework for the first time in preparation for standardized tests and application to medical and other professional health programs
- Academic advising and application preparation are focused on readying students to enter medical school or the health professional school of their choice.
- Elms College’s postbac premed program offers pre-PA, pre-pharmacy, pre-veterinarian, pre-chiropractic, pre-dental, pre-physical therapy, pre-occupational therapy, and pre-anesthesiologist assistant tracks, among others.
- Plans of study meet the most current premedical prerequisite course requirements.
- Thorough PCAT, DAT, OAT and GRE, and 2015 MCAT preparation.
- Tuition includes 50% subsidization of MCAT (or PCAT, OAT, DAT or GRE) prep course.
- Small class size.
- Fall, spring, and summer enrollment options.
- Highly diverse and international student body representing all states in the U.S. and U.S. territories (such as Guam and Puerto Rico), and countries around the world, including Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, China, Japan, Korea, Nigeria, Ghana, Angola, Spain, Iraq, Poland, and many others.
Students must take a minimum of 27 credits at Elms College and they must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA to earn the certificate.
Elms’ Individualized Approach
Students work with the premed advisor to develop their program — all programs are individualized for the specific student’s needs and the programs to which they are applying.
1-Year or 2-Year Completion Options
Students who have already taken premedical prerequisite courses in chemistry can usually earn their certificates in 1 academic year (2 semesters). Students who have not taken prerequisites in chemistry or sufficient biology courses can usually finish the program in 2 academic years (4 semesters).
Premed Meetings and Development Sessions
- Q&As with M.D.s, D.O.s, P.A.s, and Other Healthcare Professionals
- Personal Statement Workshops
- Mock Mini Multiple Interview Sessions
- Mock Traditional Interview Sessions
- Resume Development
- Obtaining Letters of Recommendation
- Application Assistance Forums
- Financial Aid Discussion Sessions
- Students can have a committee letter written on their behalf.
- All courses offer tutoring options that include peer tutors, course tutors.
- 24/7 online tutoring is available.
Affiliations, Linkages, Agreements
Located Close to Major Healthcare Centers
Elms College is ideally situated in a region populated with many hospitals, medical centers, clinics and other health professional offices offering a variety of job, and volunteering opportunities in nearby research and healthcare facilities.
Baystate Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center
Baystate Noble Hospital
Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center
Shriners Hospitals for Children
Holyoke Medical Center
Postbac premed housing located next to the college campus and on campus dormitory housing is available for a limited number of enrolled students on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Postbac Premed Tuition
- The cost of tuition is less than $20,000 per 2 academic semesters (30 credits).
- The current tuition is $652 per credit for Spring and Fall semesters.
- Elms Postbac program provides an onsite MCAT preparatory course that is 50% or less of the cost of any of the retail costs for these courses.
- Other standardized test preparations, such as the OAT, DAT, GRE, and PCAT are subsidized as well.
- Summer course offerings offered at a reduced rate (General Chemistry I and II, and Anatomy and Physiology I and II are offered in the summer).
Deadlines for applications:
Fall – August 18
Spring – December 30
Summer – May 1
- We offer rolling admissions: The earlier you apply and (if accepted) enroll, the earlier you will reserve your seat in the upcoming class.
- Standardized test scores are NOT required for admission.
- We accept students into our program who have had all, some, or none of the premed prerequisites.
- We accept students who have or have not taken the MCAT or other standardized tests.
- We accept recommendations from academic and non-academic (supervisors) sources.
Students who have not yet finished their bachelor’s degrees can still apply and be accepted to the program. Please send your final transcript indicating bachelor’s degree completion upon graduation (your final transcript will be required before matriculation into the postbac premed program).
80% of the 2015-2016 program completion students earned MCAT scores over 508, and 100% of the 2012 program completion students matriculated to medical school.
Elms College Postbac Premed program completion students have been accepted to the following schools over the past 3 years:
*Students accepted to these programs have received a full tuition scholarship
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, PA
Georgetown School of Medicine, DC
Hofstra School of Medicine, NY
Medical College of South Carolina, SC
Meharry Medical College, TN
NOVA Southeastern University College of Allopathic Medicine, FL
Penn State Medical College, Hershey, PA
Rosalind Franklin College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
St. Louis University Medical School, MO
SUNY Upstate Syracuse School of Medicine, NY
*University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA
Wayne State School of Medicine, MI
Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), PA
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM), ME
NOVA Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Purdue University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, WV
Touro College of Dental Medicine, NY
Temple University College of Dental Medicine, PA
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine, AZ
Tufts University Dental School, MA
Veterinary (over the past 3 years)
Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine, CO
Florida State College of Veterinary Medicine, FL
Lincoln Memorial University College of Veterinary Medicine, VA
Louisiana State University College of Veterinary Medicine, LA
Midwestern University College of Veterinary Medicine, AZ
Purdue Veterinary College, IN
Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, MA
University of Pennsylvania College of Veterinary Medicine, PA
University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine, TN
Barry University College of Podiatric Medicine, FL
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University, CA
New York College of Podiatric Medicine, NY
Indiana University College of Optometry, IN
New England College of Optometry, MA
Salus University, PA
SUNY College of Optometry, NY
Ohio State University College of Optometry, OH
Baypath University Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
Johnson & Wales University Physician Assistant Studies Program, RI
MCPHS Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
Springfield College Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
Tufts University School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program, MA
University of Bridgeport Physician Assistant Program, CT
University of St. Joseph Physician Assistant Studies Program, CT
Westfield State University Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
*Howard University Medical School College of Pharmacy, DC
LECOM College of Pharmacy, Bradenton, FL
Western New England University College of Pharmacy, MA
Masters of Public Health
Temple University MPH, Philadelphia, PA
*Thomas Jefferson MPH, Philadelphia, PA
Chanaé Brown '15
“Before attending Elms College I wasn’t accepted to any programs. After completing the postbaccalaureate premedical studies program, I was accepted to a master’s degree program that finally allowed me to achieve my professional goals.”
Chanaé completed the postbaccalaureate premedical studies program at Elms College in May 2015. She graduated from a master’s degree program in May 2017. After being accepted to eight pharmacy schools, Chanaé decided to attend Howard University because the scholarship she earned nearly covered her entire tuition. Chanaé credits Elms for opening doors on her career path.