Postbaccalaureate Premedical Studies Certificate Program
Our postbac premed program offers pre-dental, pre-PA, pre-pharmacy, pre-optometry, pre-podiatry, pre-veterinarian, pre-chiropractic, pre-physical therapy, pre-occupational therapy, pre-anesthesiologist assistant, and more.
Elms College postbaccalaureate premedical studies certificate program enrolls 20-30 students each academic year from across the United States and around the world who have earned a B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university. The postbac program serves two populations of students:
- Students who wish to improve their GPAs and prepare for standardized tests
- Students who need to take prerequisite coursework for the first time in preparation for standardized tests and application to medical and other professional health programs
- Academic advising and application preparation are focused on readying students to enter medical school or the health professional school of their choice.
- Elms College’s postbac premed program offers pre-PA, pre-pharmacy, pre-veterinarian, pre-chiropractic, pre-dental, pre-physical therapy, pre-occupational therapy, pre-anesthesiologist assistant, and more.
- Plans of study meet the most current premedical prerequisite course requirements.
- Thorough PCAT, DAT, OAT and GRE, and 2015 MCAT preparation.
- Tuition includes 50% subsidization of MCAT (or PCAT, OAT, DAT or GRE) prep course.
- Small class size.
- Fall, spring, and summer enrollment options.
- Highly diverse and international student body representing all states in the U.S. and U.S. territories (such as Guam and Puerto Rico), and countries around the world, including Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, China, Japan, Korea, Nigeria, Ghana, Angola, Spain, Iraq, Poland, and many others.
Students must take a minimum of 27 credits at Elms College and they must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA to earn the certificate.
Elms’ Individualized Approach
Students work with the premed advisor to develop their program — all programs are individualized for the specific student’s needs and the programs to which they are applying.
Students who have already taken premedical prerequisite courses in chemistry can usually earn their certificates in 1 academic year (2 semesters). Students who have not taken prerequisites in chemistry or sufficient biology courses can usually finish the program in 2 academic years (4 semesters).
- Q&As with M.D.s, D.O.s, P.A.s, and Other Healthcare Professionals
- Personal Statement Workshops
- Mock Mini Multiple Interview Sessions
- Mock Traditional Interview Sessions
- Resume Development
- Obtaining Letters of Recommendation
- Application Assistance Forums
- Financial Aid Discussion Sessions
- Students can have a committee letter written on their behalf.
- All courses offer tutoring options that include peer tutors, course tutors.
- 24/7 online tutoring is available.
Elms College is ideally situated in a region populated with many hospitals, medical centers, clinics and other health professional offices offering a variety of job, and volunteering opportunities in nearby research and healthcare facilities.
Baystate Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center
Postbac premed housing located next to the college campus and on campus dormitory housing is available for a limited number of enrolled students on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, contact Dominick Uguccioni at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For students who are looking for local housing or shared housing with other postbac students please contact Jane McCarry at email@example.com.
- The cost of tuition is less than $20,000 per 2 academic semesters (30 credits).
- The current tuition is $630 per credit for Spring and Fall semesters.
- Elms Postbac program provides an onsite MCAT preparatory course that is 50% or less of the cost of any of the retail costs for these courses.
- Other standardized test preparations, such as the OAT, DAT, GRE, and PCAT are subsidized as well.
- Summer course offerings offered at a reduced rate (General Chemistry I and II, and Anatomy and Physiology I and II are offered in the summer).
Deadlines for applications:
Fall – August 18
Spring – December 30
Summer – May 1
- We offer rolling admissions: The earlier you apply and (if accepted) enroll, the earlier you will reserve your seat in the upcoming class.
- Standardized test scores are NOT required for admission.
- We accept students into our program who have had all, some, or none of the premed prerequisites.
- We accept students who have or have not taken the MCAT or other standardized tests.
- We accept recommendations from academic and non-academic (supervisors) sources.
Students who have not yet finished their bachelor’s degrees can still apply and be accepted to the program. Please send your final transcript indicating bachelor’s degree completion upon graduation (your final transcript will be required before matriculation into the postbac premed program).
80% of the 2015-2016 program completion students earned MCAT scores over 508, and 100% of the 2012 program completion students matriculated to medical school.
Our graduates have reported:
- 100% success rate for PA schools
- 100% success rate for pharmacy schools
- 94% success rate for medical schools
- 93% success rate for veterinary schools
Postbac Nabs NIH Internship
Postbaccalaureate premed student Ibrahim Kargbo ’18 has a summer 2017 internship working with scientists researching sickle-cell disease in the National Institute of Health’s National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in Bethesda, Md.