Elms College is dedicated to making its programs, services, and activities accessible for students with disabilities. We prohibit discrimination based on disability and strive to provide reasonable accommodations to students consistent with the Elms College mission, policy, and applicable laws, as appropriate.
The housing accommodation process represents a collaborative effort between Residence Life and Student Accommodations and Support Services (SASS). As part of our commitment to establishing reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities, the college provides comparable, convenient, and accessible housing at the same cost as is provided to students without accommodations. Reasonable accommodations for housing may include modifications to the college’s housing policies and procedures, among other accommodations, unless any such modification(s) would result in a fundamental alteration of the college’s housing program, or create an undue burden to the college.
Requested accommodations must be reasonable and are required to address the documented disability. On-campus housing is limited at Elms and for this reason, a single room assignment is only granted to students for whom no other accommodation is deemed reasonable, and only when available. In addition, residential housing is not a distraction-free or reduced-distraction environment and an accommodation does not determine roommates.
Housing Accommodation Request Process
Please visit the SASS web page for additional information and forms. The following steps are required:
- Complete and return the SASS Intake Form by the posted deadline.
- Provide all qualifying supporting documentation by the posted deadline.
- Participate in a Welcome Meeting and while at the Welcome Meeting complete the additional forms related to housing, dining, or ESA requests.
- Provide a written personal statement.
- Requests for housing accommodations may be reviewed by a subcommittee of the SASS Advisory Committee and may include a student representative, and members of Res Life, Health Services, Counseling Services, and SASS.
2021-2022 Housing Accommodations Timeline
- For returning students who want to live on campus during the 2021-2022 academic year with previously approved accommodations, you must request an updated letter from SASS by May 7, 2021.
- For returning students without a previously approved accommodation with SASS, the deadline to request housing-based accommodations for the upcoming school year is May 7, 2021.
- For incoming first-year students, students returning from a leave of absence, and transfer students, the deadline to request housing-based accommodations for the upcoming school year is late May or early June. This deadline is extended appropriately based upon the student’s date of acceptance to the college.
- Please follow the deadline posted above for all housing and dining related accommodation requests, including food related allergies and ESA requests.
- If accommodation documentation is not received by the dates listed above, requests may not be reviewed and granted until the following semester; this decision is made on a case by case basis.
- It should be noted that simply submitting the SASS Intake form or a medical note does not guarantee the request will be granted. Accommodations are made on an as needs-based and may be limited by space availability.
- Students with approved housing accommodations, not related to a temporary injury, must request an updated housing accommodation letter directly from SASS annually.
- While the college works to provide all students with disabilities access to college housing, please note that the college may be limited in its ability to implement approved housing accommodation requests submitted after the posted deadlines.
Housing accommodations are approved only for appropriately documented disabilities and/or medical issues that substantially limit or compromise the residential experience. All requests for housing-related accommodations are reviewed, and requests that adhere to the timelines as posted above are given priority.