REQUIREMENTS for COMPLETION of the Master in Biotechnology Degree
Minimum 32 credits
Minimum GPA of 3.00
Length of program: 1-2 years
Masters of Biotechnology degree can be completed with 32 credits of coursework online or in person. There is also a thesis option. Masters of Biotechnology thesis option includes 12 credits of coursework combined with 20 credits of research. Research can be conducted in silico, in a campus laboratory, and/or workplace. There are also options for dual masters degree programs with the Business Department MBT/MBA dual program, or the Center for Ethical Leadership MBT/BMH dual program.
Degree Completion Outcomes
Students who complete the Professional Sciences Master’s degree in Biotechnology would be eligible to:
- Apply to programs in professional healthcare (medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, etc.)
- Apply to graduate programs such as (Master’s in Business Administration, Master’s in Public Health, Master’s/Ph.D. in Bioethics/Medical Humanities, Master’s in Education, Master’s/Ph.D. in basic science)
- Enter jobs in the sciences
- Enter jobs at the instructor level in higher education
Remote Options for the Master of Biotechnology Program
Students may choose a remote option for this program. This would require that students take their courses online and perform their research either in silico or in an approved research laboratory. It would also require that the remote laboratory (either in the U.S. or internationally) would also have to approve of the student’s involvement in the program and provide a mentor to oversee the work of the student.
Program for International Students
Students from outside of the U.S. if accepted to the program can join the program onsite at Elms College.
- Students with a degree in STEM (biology, chemistry, data science, bioinformatics, physics, engineering, math, etc.) with a minimum 3.0 GPA from an accredited institution
- International students: TOEFL-iBT Minimum 80–IELTS Minimum 6.5; please refer to the International Admissions page for more information
- Students currently enrolled at Elms College in Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, or CIT in the undergraduate program (minimum GPA 3.5 Science GPA) can declare the spring of the Junior year, for a 5-6 year option
- No Standardized Test Requirements
Andrew Clifford, BMS ’20
Andrew Clifford, BMS ’20, was involved in two biomedical research projects at Elms, including exploring new ways to rapidly analyze strains of infectious bacteria. “I’m learning this material in a very applicable, practical way,” he said. “Going forward into medical school, I’ll have a far better understanding than just (by reading) textbook definitions.”
Click to view course requirements for the Master of Biotechnology.
Click to collapse the course requirements for the Master of Biotechnology.
Masters Requirements Coursework (32 credits)
|Course #||Course Name||# of Credit Hours|
|BIO 5106||Cell Biology||3|
|BIO 5204||Potions, Poisons & Perfumes||3|
|BIO 5204L||Potions, Poisons & Perfumes Lab||1|
|BIO 5001||Developmental Biology||3|
|BMH 5010||Clinical Research Ethics||3|
|BIO 5201L||Genetics Lab||1|
|BIO 5206||Molecular Biology||3|
|BIO 5206L||Molecular Biology Lab||1|
|BIO 5300L||Microbiology Lab||1|
|BIO 6306L||Biochemistry Lab||1|
|BIO 5330||Biotechnology and Bioinformatics||3|
|BIO 5330L||Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Lab||1|
|BMS 5700L||Histology Lab||1|
|BMS 6402||Biology of Cancer||3|
|CIT 5100||Data Analytics||3|
Click to view course requirements for the Masters in Biotechnology (thesis option).
Click to collapse the course requirements for the Masters in Biotechnology (thesis option).
Masters Requirements Coursework (12 credits) Research (20 credits)
Research/Internship Required research 2-6 credits per semester—To be completed as an internship and/or research at Elms College. A thesis and presentation of the thesis will be required for program completion. Research can be completed at a site other than Elms College with permission from the program director at Elms College. Students who perform research offsite will be required to complete and submit their thesis to their Elms College mentor, and they will be required to perform an oral presentation of their thesis to the Elms College Biotechnology community.
Courses in the MBA program can be taken to replace BIO, BMH, and BMS courses up to 6 credits at the 5000 or above level. Up to 6 credits in CIT at the 5000 or above level.Course offerings are updated on a rolling basis and can be discussed with your program director or faculty advisor.