Pre-Health/Pre-Medicine Professional Studies Program
Hands-On Experience. Personalized Instruction.
Our pre-health/pre-medicine program offers one-on-one advising with professor Janet Williams, Ph.D., who helps you develop strategies to prepare you for further study. You can participate in faculty research projects and become involved with volunteer, mentorship, and leadership programs.
You can find Elms pre-health/pre-medicine students continuing their studies after graduation at prestigious schools such as Tufts University College of Veterinary Medicine, the University of Chicago School of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and Creighton University School of Medicine, among others.
Standardized Test Preparation
The Elms College pre-professional program prepares students to matriculate to professional health programs. We offer discounted rates for standardized test preparation for medical school (MCAT), dental school (DAT), optometry school (OAT), pharmacy school (PCAT), and veterinary, PA, PT, OT, chiropractic, and other graduate schools (GRE).
Affiliations, Linkages and Agreements
Elms College premed students have the option to expedite their grad school applications by taking advantage of our affiliations with other schools. Students should contact Dr. Janet Williams, the premedical advisor, for more information.
Premed students who have completed the requirements set out by Marywood University’s PA program are eligible to apply to the program for an interview. A recommendation letter of endorsement from the Elms College premedical advisor is required.
Premed students are also eligible to apply to the early acceptance program at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), the Lake Erie College of Dental Medicine (LECOM), and the Lake Erie College of Pharmacy (LECOM). Eligible students can schedule an interview with a LECOM admission committee to fast-track their entry into the program of their choosing.
Elms College is also affiliated with the Western New England University Pharm.D. program, which gives premed students the option to continue their graduate education in Western Massachusetts.
We are a member of the National Association of Advisors of the Health Professions.
Bridge Your Skills Into Medical School
No matter which branch of medicine you’re interested in practicing, the pre-health/pre-medicine program gives you the knowledge and expertise you need to get accepted into medical school. Our graduates have recently been accepted to the following schools:
Doctor of Allopathic Medicine (MD)
- Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, PA
- Georgetown School of Medicine, DC
- Hofstra School of Medicine, NY
- Medical College of South Carolina
- Meharry Medical College, TN
- NOVA Southeastern University College of Allopathic Medicine, FL
- Penn State Medical College, Hershey PA
- Rosalind Franklin College of Medicine, Chicago IL
- St. Louis University Medical School, MO
- SUNY Upstate Syracuse School of Medicine, NY
- University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA
- Wayne State School of Medicine, MI
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), PA
- University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM) NE
- NOVA Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
- Purdue University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN
- Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
- University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, WV
- Touro College of Dental Medicine, NY
- Temple University College of Dental Medicine, PA
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona, AZ
- Tufts University Dental School, MA
- Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine, CO
- Florida State College of Veterinary Medicine, FL
- Lincoln Memorial University College of Veterinary Medicine, VA
- Louisiana State University College of Veterinary Medicine, LA
- Midwestern University College of Veterinary Medicine, AZ
- Purdue Veterinary College, IN
- Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, MA
- University of Pennsylvania College of Veterinary Medicine, PA
- University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine, TN
- Barry University College of Podiatric Medicine, FL
- California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University, CA
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine, NY
- Indiana University College of Optometry, IN
- New England College of Optometry, MA
- Salus University, PA
- SUNY College of Optometry, NY
- Ohio State University College of Optometry, OH
- Baypath University Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
- Johnson & Wales University Physician Assistant Studies Program, RI
- MCPHS Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
- Springfield College Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
- Tufts University School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program, MA
- University of Bridgeport Physician Assistant Program, CT
- University of St. Joseph Physician Assistant Studies Program, CT
- Westfield State University Physician Assistant Studies Program, MA
- Howard University Medical School College of Pharmacy, DC
- LECOM College of Pharmacy Bradenton, FL
- Western New England University College of Pharmacy, MA
- Large state-of-the-art research labs and facilities
- Published professors
- Small lab and class sizes, which means more experience and more time with the instructor
- Hands-on experience in chemistry and biology
- Research opportunities as a first-year student
- Career seminars, cohort classes, tutoring, and mentoring resources
Click to view course requirements for the Pre-Health/Pre-Medicine Professional Studies.
Click to collapse the course requirements for the Pre-Health/Pre-Medicine Professional Studies.
Students can prepare for admission to health professional schools by majoring in any subject, but they must include courses in their program that meet minimum requirements for entrance into the professional school of their choice.
Different medical and health professional school programs have specific requirements that need to be satisfied before the student applies to the program. Dr. Janet Williams has information on different program requirements. Students should familiarize themselves with the requirements of the programs to which they are applying and have regular consultations with Dr. Williams to ensure all mandatory requirements are met.
|Course #||Formerly||Course Name||# of Credit Hours|
|CHE 1201||General Chemistry I||3|
|CHE 1201L||General Chemistry I Lab||1|
|CHE 1202||General Chemistry II||3|
|CHE 1202L||General Chemistry II Lab||1|
|CHE 2101||Organic Chemistry I||3|
|CHE 2101L||Organic Chemistry I Lab||1|
|CHE 2102||Organic Chemistry II||3|
|CHE 2102L||Organic Chemistry II Lab||1|
|PHY 1005||General Physics I||3|
|PHY 1005L||General Physics I Lab||1|
|PHY 1006||General Physics II||3|
|PHY 1006L||General Physics II Lab||1|
|BIO 1203||General Biology I||3|
|BIO 1203L||General Biology I Lab||1|
|BIO 1204||General Biology II||3|
|BIO 1204L||General Biology II Lab||1|
Additional Program Requirements
|Course #||Formerly||Course Name||# of Credit Hours|
|MAT 1301||Calculus I||3|
|BIO 3001||Developmental Biology||3|
|BIO 3001L||Developmental Biology Lab (optional)||1|
|BIO 3103||Anatomy & Physiology I||3|
|BIO 3103L||Anatomy & Physiology I Lab (optional, strongly recommended)||1|
|BIO 3104||Anatomy & Physiology II||3|
|BIO 3104L||Anatomy & Physiology II Lab (optional, strongly recommended)||1|
|BIO 3106||Cell Biology||3|
|BIO 3106L||Cell Biology Lab (optional)||1|
|BIO 3201L||Genetics Lab (optional)||1|
|BIO 3206||Molecular Biology||3|
|BIO 3206L||Molecular Biology Lab (optional)||1|
|BIO 4306L||Biochemistry Lab (optional)||1|
|Courses in Bioethics and Medical Humanities (BMH) (strongly recommended)|
John Marc-Austin ’17
John-Marc Austin ’17, biology and psychology double major and a bioethics minor, has been accepted into the program at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, which only accepts 3.5% of applicants.